Who is Rich J anyway

My photo
Trials and tribulations of following interests when getting 'past it'.

Sunday 21 February 2016

In at the deep end...

Well Andrew picked me up early yesterday morning to head off down to Warboar for their X-WIng Store Championship. Firstly a bit about Warboar/Paridice Games Cafe... A new venue in Bromley it is a 'game cafe' with a huge upstairs for organised events. The games cafe is a blossoming industry it seems and it seems that Paradice is an excellent example, large comfy tables and chairs (as in the tables are the tight size/height for games) and an excellent choice of nibbles and 'food'. Every time I ventured downstairs it seemed to be thronged in joyous gamers and I only wish it was in Enfield.

To be honest I went to the day with the thought that if I didn't lose all my games I would be a happy bunny. Having not played more than one game in a row for around 3 1/2 years (and only a handful in the last few months after a long long layoff) I was dreading playing 6 matches plus in the day. Apparently the largest store championship to date with over 60 players I was certainly throwing myself in at the deep end indeed.

View down the tables 
Round one saw my Han & Poe force for the day up against a classic match up of Slave One plus tie fighters. Han was on fire, although Poe went down fairly early, and I managed a Match Win in a fairly convincing style. Worryingly this put me on one of the top tables for the second match of the day. Again Han was on fire and Poe worked OK... I went down eventually but was pleased with how close I got.

So the next match, down the tables again, saw a duke out between Han and Palpatine in a shuttle with all his shenanigans with the two interceptors. Every inch of the table was used and a really grind match was on... Managed to take out the interceptors, lost Poe and the shields on the Falcon, we ran out of time unfortunately (my very pleasant opponent was not the quickest player at times) and it was a 'modified' win.

Next up was the match of the day for me - great opponent, great fun and a nail biting finish where I managed to stave him off and destroy his squadron while only having one hit left on the Falc in the last round of the game. Han's flying with the boost was painful to watch for any of my opponents supporters (who had gathered) and made me feel slightly dirty (for about a millisecond) - so another match win. Over half way through the day and I was 3-1 up, what a surprise.

But the day was taking its toll and next up was a mid table match with Andrew - I flew very badly and his list is a bit of a killer. At least we got time to go down for a bit of refreshment in the cafe while every one else finished off.


Last game of the day and I had perked up and against 3 B-wings I could do no wrong it seemed and had a convincing match win.... So 4-2 on the day missing the top eight cut (thankfully as it was 8 oclock already) and I went home; C3po alternate art card in tow; very, very happy.

Things learnt:

  • Poe didn't really work against people who basically made sure he went down early. 
  • Phat Han was still a very viable build and gave everyone trouble when flying well. 
  • Six games is mind numbing.
  • Some people are really funny when they don't get things their own way, there were some excellent examples (non of my opponents thankfully).
Looking forward to the next one but going to play around with a Miranda K - Wing to go with Han - even if it means getting away from 'thematic' builds which I normally go for.

More late

No comments:

Post a Comment